SENIOR EDITOR, TOUCHLINE – Nov 2019 – July 2020
Senior Editor leading communications, PR and messaging on the Visit Saudi campaign – the inaugural, global tourism campaign for the Kingdom.
- Commissioning international travel writers and journalists.
- Writing and editing articles to promote various regions of Saudi Arabia.
- Creative storytelling and visual presentation for a global audience.
- Leading on messaging and tone for Visit Saudi campaign.
- Dealing with client requests and meeting senior officials of Saudi Tourism.
- Website development and ongoing maintenance.
FREELANCE EDITOR – Aug 2019 – Nov 2019
Writing articles for Esquire, GQ, food articles for The National, The Robb Report, FoodTribe, High Life, as well as compiling business reports on the F&B industry.
LEAD ENGLISH EDITOR, CAREEM – May 2018 – July 2019
Lead communications editor for Careem, based in Dubai office but overseeing content throughout the Middle East and North Africa as Careem expanded in the lead up to acquisition by Uber.
- Creating thought leadership op-eds for founders and senior management.
- Writing speeches for founders including one delivered at the UN in New York.
- Writing press releases and handling media requests and interviews.
- Writing articles for the Careem blog to position Careem as tech innovator.
- Messaging and positioning for Careem Bike launch.
- Corporate reputation and crisis management communications.
- Overseeing the launch and comms for food delivery service Careem Now.
- Comms for the $3.1billion deal with Uber – the largest tech deal in history of the region.
EDITOR, VOGUE MAN ARABIA – Oct 2017 – Apr 2018
Editor of Vogue Man Arabia magazine, launching and running Vogue Man website and social media sites covering fashion, food, style, luxury and design.
MANAGING EDITOR, MOJEH MEN – Jun 2017 – Oct 2017
Managing editor of high-end, men’s fashion and lifestyle magazine and mojehmen.com website covering food, fashion, style, luxury watches and design.
FREELANCE EDITOR – Dec 2016 – Jun 2017
Freelance editor specialising in food, culture and film for publications including Time Out, CN Traveller, The Rake, Stylist, Esquire, British Airways High Life, Mojeh, Edgar, Shortlist and The National for which I was the food critic reviewing restaurants, writing food features and interviewing top chefs.
EDITOR, PORTFOLIO MAGAZINE – Aug 2015 – Nov 2016
Relaunch editor on First- and Business-class title for Emirates Airline. Spearheading a comprehensive redesign, I introduced dynamic content and longform features on travel, food, fashion, style, culture and innovation.
DEPUTY EDITOR, ESQUIRE MAGAZINE – Aug 2009 – Aug 2015
Launched Middle East edition of Esquire. Edited, commissioned and wrote on topics including food, fashion and style, TV, film, travel, sport and culture.
– Judge and writer for annual 50 Best Restaurants in the UAE feature.
– Edited three editions of Esquire Watch Book that brought in over $350k in revenue, as well as Big Black Book of fashion and style.
– Launched Esquire.me website and wrote its highest viewed stories. During this time I also wrote columns for Grazia and Cosmopolitan.
DEPUTY EDITOR, MEN’S FITNESS – July 2008 – Aug 2009
Launched Men’s Fitness magazine. Writing included interviews with Daniel Craig, Evangeline Lilly and John Barnes. Editor of Men’s Essential Guides (Dubai and Abu Dhabi) covering men’s lifestyle, food, fashion, etc. Both compiled with minimal budget.
FEATURES EDITOR, IQ MAGAZINE – May 2008 – Jul 2008
Launched Dubai’s first weekly magazine for men. Editing fashion pages, cover stories and commissioning articles..
NATIONAL FOOD CRITIC, 7DAYS – May 2007-2008
My reviews were the most widely read print and online food reviews in the country, covering everything from fine dining to street food. Restaurants attributed significant changes in revenue as a result of coverage.
EDITOR, TIME OUT – Aug 2005 – May 2008
Editor, Time Out Abu Dhabi and Editor, Men’s Lifestyle supplements.
– Senior Editor, Time Out Guides Middle East launching and writing the travel and eating out guides to Dubai, Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Doha and Oman.
– Weekly food reviews and features.
– TV and Feature Editor, Time Out Dubai.
– During this time I also contributed to Arabian Business, Car Middle East, Ahlan!, CEO Magazine, First Class, VIVA and Visitor.
EDITOR, BIG BROTHER – May 2005 – Aug 2005
Editor for the official Big Brother website at Channel4.com; writing stories, editing and developing interactive elements. Writing news for The Sun, The Mirror and Star newspapers.
COLUMNIST, GALLERY MAGAZINE – Jan 2005 – May 2005
Freelance writer and columnist for monthly men’s style magazine writing about food, travel, films and TV.
EDITOR, 24SE7EN – Jul 2003 – Dec 2004
Editor of weekly lifestyle magazine. Writing articles ranging from celebrity interviews to features on topics such as food, nightlife and business. As well as writing, I was responsible for proof reading, sub-editing, picture research, page layout and commissioning articles.
WRITER, POPMATTERS.COM – May 2002 – July 2003
Freelance London-gig reviewer for the American Popmatters.com website, Writing 700+ word music reviews as well as articles for the website.
ONLINE JOURNALIST, OPTA at SKY SPORTS – Jan 2000 – May 2003
Online journalist generating statistics and stories for media including The Sun, The Mirror, The Times, The Guardian and Sky Sports news channel. Co-managed a news desk of 10. During this time I also wrote three Opta yearbooks and contributed to other sports books.
PROMOTER, MOKSHA RECORDS – Oct 1999 – Jan 2000
Responsible for marketing and A&R at the small independent record label. Arranged gigs, promotional activities, got a small relatively unknown bands onto Jools Holland and sorted out artwork for future albums – all on a very tight budget. Helped develop the band Kosheen, picking tracks for singles and the album. Promoted and organised events and gigs.
PROMOTER, ANGLO PLUGGING – Jun 1999
Record promoter and publicist for bands including Oasis, Travis, Primal Scream, Fatboy Slim and The Chemical Brothers.
REPORTER, JERSEY EVENING POST – various work from 1991 – 1999
News reporting, business writing, feature articles and sports journalism. Interviews ranged from local politicians to world champion surfers and Prof. Stephen Hawking.
MARKETING INTERN, LONDON RECORDS – May 1999
Work placement at London Records in the PR and Marketing Department. Created promotional campaigns for bands such as New Order, The Brand New Heavies, All Saints, The Happy Mondays and Shack. This involved dealing with artists, organising guestlists for gigs, helping choose treatments for videos and helping create launch parties for artists.
RADIO INTERN, BBC RADIO ONE – Apr 1999
Intern on Lamacq Live and The Evening session. Production assistant for the show, mixing levels for broadcast as well as editing a Star Wars documentary for the BBC radio departments.
EDITORIAL INTERN, LOADED MAGAZINE – Feb 1998
Intern at the legendary men’s magazine.